Friday, November 13, 2015

Mom's Wild Rice Casserole

 

Last year this season, from the beginning of fall on through to the new year, went by in such a hurry. Between gatherings and performances, shopping and getting it all done, there wasn't much time left for soaking it all in. This wonderful season with early nights all aglow in twinkle lights, where even the stop lights seem to join the festivities on those raining dark evenings when you have to dart out to get marshmallows for hot chocolate. There's a certain mystical magic in the air. Maybe a remnant of childlike anticipation, or maybe its a deeper tuning in to the changes within ourselves and our communities, or maybe it IS just magic. This year I'm turning my focus to being present during the fall and winter months. To not let it all go by in a blur. To remember to give thanks for each moment and to fully absorb each day. To let the transitions take a hold of me and prepare me for the new year. Part of this being present, I've discovered, is preparing traditional family meals on normal every day evenings. Cooking and baking are grounding activities, reminding me to take delight in the simple everyday moments. This is a recipe that my mom (or another family relative) has prepared every Thanksgiving for at least as long as I can remember. And unlike the Spinach Casserole that took some time to grow on me, I've loved this Wild Rice Casserole since I was little. It's earthy and delicious and will fill your kitchen with rich buttery warmth.

WILD RICE CASSEROLE

1/2 cup butter (I use 1/3 cup)
1 cup wild rice, well rinsed and drained
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 T. chopped onions or chives
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)

Sauté first 5 ingredients for about 8-10 minutes, stirring almost constantly. Transfer to 2 quart casserole and add broth. Cover tightly and bake in a pre-heated 325 degree (F) oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.


No comments :

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS