Saturday, October 31, 2015

soup's on: stories about autumn


Wait. I started a blog? Good grief, WHAT was I thinking? Something along the lines of pretty pictures, documenting life, pushing myself into a creative outlet. I knew there'd be growing pains. A mixture of embarrassment, not good enough, this is lame growing pains. But if puberty taught me anything, it's that there's only one way to grow up: the hard way. No wait, that can't be right. Actually puberty wasn't that mean to me. It was the college years that really dropped me on my ass, kicked me in the gut, smeared dirt on my face, and then held a mirror up for me to see. Ahhh, good times. Anyways, the point is I have grown. I have learned. And I make very different mistakes than I used to. Wink wink. So as it was in my college years, so shall it be in the beginning of this blog. We'll get through it. Someday, down the road, I'll be able to look back and see a record of the path I walked. Just in the mean time, don't go telling anyone I have a blog.

Look out, there's about to be a new stretch mark in the making (am I reaching on this metaphor, this gross metaphor, too far?) and a whole lotta pictures.


I'm nostalgic for Fall in the worst way.

The vibrant yellows and oranges and fiery reds. The crisp morning air mixing with smoke rising out the chimney. I want to rush out in between rains and walk the wet neighborhood sidewalks in knee-high boots as the wind carries away all the energy of the past year. I want to watch the leaves fall and twirl together in the street for one last dance. I want to kick off my galoshes on the porch next to the pumpkins and enter the embrace of a warm home on a cold rainy day. I want to cuddle up with a blanket and a book on the couch counting my blessings as sounds of family echo through the hallways.

I want to feel Fall in my heart and all around me. To be made stronger in each fallen leaf. To feel the beauty of death and rebirth in my core. I want the struggles of the past year to be swept away with the wind, buried in the snow and transformed in the spring. I want to marvel at the ease in which a tree lets go of its leaves. Unfortunately, the central coast isn't putting on much of a show this year.

Ugh, it hurts. Nostalgia, you wicked thing.


^^ Hey here's some color  ^^

 

I'm happy to report that it rained a couple of days ago. And then the sun came out and dried up all the rain and the itsy bitsy spider and all of her large creepy friends found their way into my humble abode.


Blessings aren't at all like chickens. You should count them often and repetitively and especially before they hatch. Just something I've been thinking about.


Sure is pretty in these thar them hills, bro. 

Seasonally speaking, the farm fields round here know what's up. Here's my recommendation for beating the Where's Fall Blues. Grab all the ugly root vegetables and throw them in a pot. I call this my...

CLEAN OUT THE REFRIGERATOR/PANTRY SOUP

INGREDIENTS /
ONE / the contents of your fridge.
(beets, dinosaur kale, carrots, potatoes, fresh herbs)
TWO / the contents in your pantry.
(pasta, vegetable broth, dried herbs)

METHOD /
ONE / peel everything.
TWO / combine all found items into a large pot on the stove over medium heat.
THREE / forget about pot on the stove for about an hour.
FOUR / serve delicious soup.
FIVE / note modifications for next time.


The last of the pot. Extra pink. Light on kale. 

Worth noting: Go eeeeasy on the pasta. Actually, just replace all pasta with more dinosaur kale. It got to the point where if I threw little cheese on top, it became a casserole, which was delicious, but not what I was going for. Aiming for more chicken noodle and less casserole. 


And oh yeah, Happy Halloween ya turkeys.

No comments :

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS