Sunday, October 11, 2015

Fall Farmers Market

This just in: 
Fall will be arriving on the Pony Express, 
approximately one month later than the rest of the country.
Exclusive Fall preview at a farmers' market near you.


Fall is my favorite color. You know how people used to ask you all the time when you were younger what your favorite color was? Nobody has asked me lately, so I'll just go ahead and tell you. It's Fall. Specifically October. And November.

All over my Instagram feed are pictures sporting Fall in other states. Yellow and red-leafed maple trees boasting behind recently rain-drenched steps lined with pumpkins. Ugh. The colors are so vibrant, I can feel them in my soul. So breathtaking, I can feel my breath jump at the crisp Autumn morning air filling my lungs. So stimulating, I can feel a collective excitement bursting at the seams as the clouds release a summer's worth of pent-up rain.


Well, I can almost feel it. California hasn't quite gotten the memo yet. The Pony Express must have gotten delayed in the South Carolina rains on their way out here.


The evergreens ARE changing color though! Dehydrated brown pine-needles have covered my driveway. ;)

It might still be Pacific Ocean swimming weather, but the farmers' markets round here have DEFINITELY gotten the Fall memo. Leave it to agriculture to be perfectly in tune with the season! Baskets of apples, and pumpkins, and gourds, oh my!


Don't you just love farmers' markets in the Fall? The colors. The abundance. The displays. The textures. The rawness and humility in presentation. Jewels of the soil, encouraged forth with months of patient and consistent labors, overflowing out of old wicker baskets onto gingham covered tables. And the farmers themselves, humbly standing behind their products. Actually this is my favorite part about farmers' markets all year round. In this smoke and mirrors industrial food system culture of waxy apples and giant tasteless strawberries, what a fresh breath of crisp Autumn air to have the grower looking you squarely in the eye as you exchange money for truly nourishing foods. Farmer's markets, the Autumn of the food system. :) Give me all your worm-hole apples and two-pronged carrots! Raw real food from raw real people. Tell me, what could be more appealing than that.


Happy Fall, y'all.

No comments :

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS